Saturday, February 04, 2006

Wow, it finally happened. I was driving down Indian School road at about 20 miles per hour and the bike just stopped running, there was a loud clunk and as I wheeled the bike off the road it scrubbed off lots of speed. As I put my foot down to steady the dead bike my shoe was filled with hot antifreeze, a reasonably good indicator of what was to come. I pulled the chain out from around the wheel and swing arm and cleared the obstrucing links from the sprocket,but the damage is internal and the wheel bearings will need to be replaced. As for the antifreeze spray I think the wayward links whipped up my water pump and cracked the housing, also freeing my clutch release mechanism. I am fortunate to have good friends. Hollywood secured a trailer at work and helped my pack my cracked cycle home. Six hours of pushing, pulling, walking and waiting has left me with feelings of indifference of something I am quite fond of. I can not disconnect the memory of sweeping through a largly arched and slightly banked turn at high speed and low angles, but I could see myself doing it later in life on a different bike too. My fear is that these years come past too fast. I think that allowing time to pass for a day is a year too long. -Evan

No comments: